Common Holiday Hazards for Cats

By December 18, 2014 December 20th, 2019 Uncategorized

cat sitting with Christmas presents

Just the other day, a cat came to see us who needed urgent treatment after drinking an additive from the water under her family’s Christmas tree. It isn’t uncommon for pets to be exposed to dangers like this during the holiday season. In fact, it’s so common that you probably have some of them in your home right now.

Common holiday foods that are toxic to cats:

  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Alcohol
  • Onions and garlic
  • Yeast

Common holiday plants that are toxic to cats:

  • Christmas trees (pine needles)
  • Poinsettias
  • Christmas cactus
  • Mistletoe
  • American holly
  • Amaryllis
  • Lily

Christmas tree hazards:

  • Christmas tree preservative
  • Christmas tree water
  • Cords, ribbons, and tinsel
  • Batteries
  • Glass ornaments

Other winter substances that are poisonous to cats:

  • Candles
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Ethanol
  • Silica gel packs
  • Ice melts
  • Mouse and rat poisons
  • Medications

What to do if you think your cat was poisoned:

  • Get in touch with your local veterinarian or poison control center. If you don’t have a local poison control center, call the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426 – 4435.
  • If you can’t get in touch with either of these places, take your cat to a veterinarian right away. Don’t wait; it could mean the difference between life and death. (If your cat vomits or has diarrhea, it may be a good idea to bring a sample in a sealed container with you to the vet for examination.)
  • Last but not least, do not give your cat any liquids or induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by your veterinarian.

One Comment

  • Buster Wells says:

    Thank you for taking such good care of me. Our new dog, Sweetie, is settling in very well–I don’t mind (too much) that she’s joined the family. I hope your Christmases are happy!

Leave a Reply