Just the other day, a cat came to see us who needed urgent treatment after drinking an additive from the water under her family’s Christmas tree. It actually isn’t uncommon for pets to be exposed to dangers like these during the holiday season. In fact, they’re so common that you probably have some of them in your home right now.
Avoid common holiday foods that are toxic to cats such as:
- Onions and Garlic
Avoid common holiday plants that are toxic to cats such as:
- Christmas Trees (Pine Needles)
- Christmas Cactus
- American Holly
Avoid Christmas tree hazards such as:
- Christmas Tree Preservative
- Christmas Tree Water
- Cords, Ribbons, and Tinsel
- Glass Ornaments
Avoid other winter substances that are poisonous to cats such as:
- Liquid Potpourri
- Silica Gel Packs
- Ice Melts
- Mouse and Rat Poisons
What to do if you think your cat was poisoned:
- Get in touch with your local veterinarian or poison control center. If you don’t have a local poison control center, then you may call the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426 – 4435.
- If you can’t get in touch with either of these places, then take your cat to a veterinarian right away. Don’t wait; it could mean the difference between life and death for them. (If your cat vomits or has diarrhea, then it may be a good idea to bring a sample in a sealed container with you to the vet for examination.)
- Last but not least, do not give your cat any liquids or induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by your veterinarian.